1358 it was proscribed that the officials of the neighborhood
should establish some premises near the Rialto in which to
restrict the trade of prostitution. The women, however, soon
scattered throughout this entire neighborhood – called “Carampane”
– from Ca short for casa, or house, (in Venetian – short for
palace) and Rampani – an ancient Venetian family who owned
some palazzi there. Despite the presence of “that kind of
woman” more serious vices were also present. So, to distract
from worseand to attract "flies to the molasses"
it came to be that the women were not only tolerated, but
encouraged to advertise. They were told to stand in doors
and windows in a “tempting state” of undress while the light
from oil lamps illuminated the curious spectacle. Over time,
however, severe laws were promulgated to control prostitution.